Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Edible. And Recommended.


Not many ornamental cabbages grace the fronts in Blissville, thankfully. When they first appeared decades ago, I had hoped at least that they were edible. When people told me they weren't, I liked them less.

But now we have Google, and a search reveals that they are indeed edible, though tough with a strong flavor.

I am hardly the "Wildman Steve Brill," seeking out wild delicacies and medicinal plants at the city's fringes. But along the fence to the Best Western City Motel I did find flowers of promise. They covered the yews that grow in planters, and so I imagine they were sown incidentally, by a bird or the wind.

They are hardy plants, taking root between the cracks of the macadam. Give them another month, and they'll produce winter squash. But for now, I'm content to pick the cherry tomatoes living among their leaves.

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

I call them "space cabbages" ~ for two reasons: 1) they look like something from outerspace, and 2) their sole purpose in life is to take up space. I have never been able to figure them out!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Blissville said...

I really resented them when I thought they weren't edible, just one big tease. But now? I'm kinda coming around, especially now that they can also be used for soup!

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like them also. and always thought they look like sort of deranged nasturtiums.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Blissville said...

Perhaps engorged, deranged nasturtiums. But one thing is for sure: I'll never look at them the same.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home